Beth Kaplan Westbrook, PsyD
MSMP is privileged to introduce Beth Westbrook, PsyD to our Physician Wellness Program.
For nearly 30 years, Beth has worked with and counseled health professionals, understanding that they carry a high degree of stress in both their professional and personal lives. She values their privacy and strives to maintain confidentiality in a respectful environment.
Her experience includes clinical treatment, dance therapy, and private practice. She has maintained professional relationships through organizational work, board positions, supervision of students and consultations. Beth currently works in private practice, serves as a governor appointee to The Health Evidence Review Commission (State of Oregon), consults for the Physician Wellness Program (Medical Society of Metropolitan Portland) and The Health Professionals Service Program (Oregon).
- Private Practice, Portland, OR
- Interventionist, Lung Health Study, Oregon Health Sciences University
- Adjunct Graduate Faculty, Marylhurst College, Portland, OR
- Clinical Psychology, Clackamas County Mental Health Center
- South Community Mental Health Center, Washington, DC
- Mount Vernon Hospital, Alexandria, VA, Therapist on a short-term psychiatric neuro/medical unit
- Dance Therapy. St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Washington, DC (Certified in Group Work Training and Crisis Intervention)
Memberships and Professional Service
- American Psychological Association (Division of Psychotherapy)
- Oregon Psychological Association
- Portland Psychological Association
Papers, Presentations, and Service
- “Treatment of Health Professionals: What we know”, Oregon Psychological Association, With John Christensen, PhD, 2011
- Program Chair, Conference, Association for Women in Psychology, 2009
- “Depression”, lecture in Psychopathology course, Reed College, 2006
- “Strategic Resilience for the Profession: Getting a Jump on Change” Participant, APA Leadership Conferences, Washington, DC, 2004.
- “Coping with breast cancer: How your mind can help your body”, YMCA, with Joan Dayger Behn, Portland, OR 1999
- “Group Therapy: Current Trends and Applications”, Providence Health Plans and School of Professional Psychology (Pacific University), Organized and moderated panel, 1999
- “Impaired Professionals: Prevention during Graduate School Training”, Pacific University, Portland, OR. 1996
- “The Pregnant Therapist: Issues for Therapy and Supervision” Association for Women in Psychology, Beth K. Westbrook, Robin Shallcross & Deborah Kass-Ray, 1994
- “Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives on Addiction”, a panel discussion, moderator, Pacific University, Portland, OR. 1993
- “Adjustment to Divorce”, Portland State University, Graduate School of Social Work, 1992
- “Self-esteem”, Good Samaritan Hospital, Multiple Sclerosis support group, Portland, OR. 1991
- “Dance/Movement Therapy with Groups of Outpatients with Parkinson’s Disease”, American Journal of Dance Therapy (Vol. 11, No. 1, Spring/Summer 1989)
- “Long-term Adjustment to Divorce in Children”, doctoral dissertation, 1989
For more information on Dr. Westbrook and her experience, please visit www.bethwestbrook.com.
You can also view her LinkedIn profile at www.linkedin.com/pub/beth-kaplan-westbrook/a/ab4/9bb.
Dan Rubin, PsyD